- Movies are screened at the James Bridges Theater, Melnitz Hall 1409 on the UCLA campus.
- All screenings and appearances are subject to change on short notice, so please check our listings before showtime.
- All movies are FREE to UCLA students, staff, faculty and members of the general public, unless otherwise noted.
- Melnitz Movies is funded through the UCLA Graduate Students Association and the ASUCLA Student Interaction Fund.
- Tickets are available on a first-come, first-served basis (one ticket per person) at the Melnitz box office one hour before showtime.
April 24, 2014 - 7:30pm
RSVP: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sneak-preview-northern-light-nick-bentgen-2... "While the snowmobile race at the center of the film is dramatic and engrossing, encompassing an entire film within itself, it's the small, quiet glimpses that pull the viewer in, casting a compassionate eye on lives on the margins. But everybody struggles, and on a fundamental level NORTHERN LIGHT is a film we can all relate to." —Craig Hubert, ArtInfo Set against the backdrop of a town's annual snowmobile race, NORTHERN LIGHT explores the working class experience in a series of captivating personal stories of recession-era America. The lives of three families change profoundly in the north woods of Michigan, where winters are unforgiving, jobs are hard to come by, and the line between living life and simply surviving is razor-thin. This cinematic, observational documentary explores the American working class experience through character-based storytelling. As racers and their families pin their hopes to a 500 mile-long test of endurance, small triumphs and giant sacrifices are made along the way. Dysfunction and hardship permeate the cold, but this harsh...